Surya Namaskar literally translates to “bowing to the sun.” It is a combination of 12 yoga asanas, where the body, mind, and soul are brought into complete harmony They are done in sets, some do 12, some 15, while some 30 depending on their endurance.As mum’s we hardly are able to gather time to do something for ourselves.
Today, I decided to do the Surya Namaskar in my jeans as those 15 mins were all I had for myself. There are many benefits of Surya namaskar. Read on to know about the most prominent ones.
- Stretching and flexibility: The 12 asanas which are part of the Surya Namaskar ensure that every part of the body gets exercise. The flexibility that comes with it is to be experienced, to be believed. This is extremely beneficial for the bones, joints, and ligaments of the entire body and spine.
- Improves internal organ functioning: The various stretching improves blood flow to the organs and improves their functioning. The result is a better functioning digestive system and kidneys, which help in better absorption of nutrients from food and thorough elimination of metabolic wastes. Detox happens naturally, with the release of trapped gasses and improved enzyme secretion.
- Weight Management: One of the best-proven ways to lose weight is to do the 12 asanas regularly on a daily basis. It is a perfect workout involving the complete body and is great for losing weight around the belly. It also is proven to improve the thyroid gland functioning, which plays a significant role in metabolism and leads to weight gain.
- Bone health: Traditionally, it is done during the early morning hours, at sunrise, which ensures the body gets the required amount of vitamin D.All the stretching and bending ensures it is good for bone health.However, you can practice them a few hours before or after a meal.
- Stress buster: Stress release happens in multiple ways. Deep focused breathing is one of them. During the asanas, control over breathing is very essential and so stress control is ensured. Our body is usually stressed for most part of the day, controlled breathing and stretching helps to relax our muscles.
- Cure for insomnia: People who are not able to sleep should do Surya Namaskar on a regular basis and tada sleep will follow soon.. Both stress relief and the perfect workout ensures good sleep is guaranteed.
- Helpful in menstrual cycles: I have pcod and for women who have pcod/pcos know the hassle of irregular periods and menstrual cramps. However daily practice of Surya namaskar has helped me. My only challenge is the consistency. I tell you, mommy hood duties make you lazy towards your own self!!
- That glow on your skin After soo many benefits of the renown Surya Namaskar you are bound to have glowing skin. The happiness of weight loss, bidding goodbye to stress and relaxation of your body is all equal to a good skin.
This is how I tried the Surya namaskar today, it is one of the 12 asanas of Surya namaskar. You should definitely make some time for yourself and try it. I follow this easy video to practice it.