Dance is a performing art form consisting of purposefully selected sequences of human movement.Dance is also known to cure and ease stress, and anxiety. Additionally it is known to help in cases of ADHD too.
People have often been heard saying dance your way to life. Dancing is nothing but the movement of human body in selected sequences or in some sort of rhythmic form. Dance is known to be one of the major stress busters in our ever day life.
Have you ever wondered why dancing feels so good? In ancient times too, people have paintings of dancers caved on their walls. Babies too, take to music instantly, by simply tapping their feet or moving their bodies. Dancing stimulates you on physical and emotional level both.
Dancing releases a hormone called endorphin and its bigger in release as compared to other forms of exercise. What are endorphins actually? Endorphins are a hormone that your body releases to ease pain and make you calm and happy.
I am someone who loves to groove to music always. (not in any specific rhythm, not a trained dancer)Besides following some useful tips for detox, I can indeed vouch for the multiple benefits of dancing.
Benefits of Dancing
- It boosts happiness (try putting on some music and sitting idle for 5 mins, you are bound to feel better)
- It improves your creative thinking patterns. Often people listen to music when painting or reading.
- It helps improvise your memory. Try listening to an audio rather than reading a book, you will grasp things faster. Of course, this may vary from person to person, however a study has proven that babies respond faster when you talk to them in a sing-song tone.
- Besides helping you burn calories and fuelling you up with energy, it also betters your stamina.
- It strengthens your bones, joints and improves your body balance too.
In recent times, we have heard a lot about kids and suffering from ADHD ( Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) This condition is a neurological condition than affects a person’s attention span, makes them hyper ( makes them move about constantly sometimes making them fidgety as well) and results in impulsivity.There are indeed some positive traits that get accompanied with ADHD.
People suffering from ADHD may not have all the symptoms of inattention and hyperactivity-impulsivity. The diagnosis is usually made by a pediatrician when it comes to children, a psychologist or a psychiatrist who has expertise in ADHD. There are no known cures for ADHD however some studies have established the link between dance and handling ADHD and stress.
Dancing is known to release endorphins and also reduce the levels of cortisol which is a stress hormone. I recently was diagnosed with a high level of prolactin hormone and increased anxiety which was controlled with regular dance sessions at my local dance studio.
Few ways, how dancing has help improve ADHD situations
- It helps improve their attention span and builds their self-confidence.
- Dancing is known to be social and less structured form of involvement, hence it’s a great programme to help people cope with ADHD.
- Some dance forms mix color coding in their dance sessions, using colors in any activity helps a person’s organisational skill.
- A music number being played repeatedly helps improve a person’s memory skills too.
- A dancer is required to maintain eye contact with people, hence improving their attention skills.
- Since dancing is known to lift your mood, it is recommended for someone handling ADHD as it helps you fight anxiety and depression too
ADHD is journey and struggle together. There are various known studies to tackle it. Only the one who is part of the journey will understand the hurdles that come along. Dancing is a great way to tackle it because dancing has no barriers. Dancing doesn’t require you to be someone or at some position, it just requires you to be yourself.