Our moods are like the weather, they change frequently. We often take measures to shield ourselves and our houses from the changing weather. Our houses do get protected from the change in season but the people who usually bear the outbursts of our changing moods are, our family and our children.
People in the family usually are able to cope with the changing moods because of advanced emotional intellect however kids may or may not be impacted for long.There are many ways that have been tried by me to avoid yelling at my child in various situations. These tricks and tips work mostly in all situations when practiced with patience and consistence!!
We all are allowed to get angry, be depressed, stressed and exhausted when it comes to handling children sometimes.
How yelling can impact your children in the long run –
- Impacts their self confidence and belief in their own selves.
- They develop a fear about themselves and about facing the world.
- They become fidgety and their concentration suffers. They may have a very limited concentration span.
- They may even turn aggressive and become violent too to put their point across as that is what they see and experience.
How you can avoid yelling or use alternatives to yelling!!
- Breathe, Breathe and Breathe!! Breathing regulates your hormones and your mental state and that why, while practicing yoga you are supposed to learn to take control of your breathe! Breathing will help you calm down.
- They say, out of sight and out of mind. You can try moving away from the situation for a few seconds/minutes and then come back to deal with it later.
- Ignorance is bliss. Well not always but sometimes you need to let your child complete their reaction without reacting with them and then make them understand about what happened.
- It takes a village to raise a child, so you might as well use their help.When you are at the verge of yelling, ask your village ( family) to remind you not to yell.
- There is a difference between being stern and loud and YELLING.
- Listen to them patiently and hear them out.
- Scream mutely. Yes as a parent you can do that.Scream and yell in your mind before you decide to yell at your child.
- Drink some water, even pop a chocolate in your mouth. Just like kids we also get cranky and irritated on the onset of fatigue and hunger.
- Spend some fun times with your child. Limit the use of gadgets for both your child and yourself.Indulge in different activities and get your child to learn from small and fun activities
The struggle is real for sure and it will get easy with time. As long as you are able to identify the problem and what creates it, half the struggle is over. Promise yourself you will always look for alternatives to yelling.
If you have more tips on how to handle emotional outbursts or how to avoid yelling at your kids, do leave in your comments!!